Saturday, October 28, 2006

Friday afternoon

I have had the amazing opportunity of doing my first practicum in an "inner city" school-- probably the oldest, and most diverse school I have ever been to in my life.

This week I actually got to teach some classes. I was a little worried about my nerves getting the best of me, and crying in front of the kids (especially because of the very little sleep I was getting). I actually managed just fine in class. And even in the hallways. . .

. . . pictures on the wall invoking the history not just of the school, but of the city. . .

. . . complicated to navigate during breaks, talking, laughing, shouting, sometimes shoving. . .

. . . breakdancing demos at lunch. . .
dress up the teacher contests. . .
occasional fights. . .

and friday afternoon,
baggy jeaned, sneakered, head shaved,
circled by friends gathering up for the weekend,

haunting melody
on a violin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home