Monday, January 22, 2007

countdown

I start my practicum next week. Scary. Exciting, too, but scary. You know when you're so close to being ready do something, but you get paralyzed at trying to complete the final preparation? That's sort of where I'm at.

You know, I've always kind of scoffed at the idea of the long-distance relationship. But I'm beginning to see where it has benefits. The whole 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' cliche has tended not to manifest itself in my life. Until now. I'm trying not to worry too much about the future, trying not to wish my life away, trying not to fast-forward through all of the opportunities of the present, but it can be difficult. It took me 3 years to get to here. . . and the in-between 3 years were full of surprises and fantastic opportunities. . . even if some mega-frustration in the final year. (Speaking of frustration. . . no, we won't go there. . .).

Still, it's a bit of a surprise to find myself living out some of the other life cliches I've always derided. I worry about that a little. But just because I'm worried about falling into someone else's classification is not a good reason to miss out on something that could be great. It's like when you have a great idea, but then your parents suggest that same idea to you, and it immediately wrecks it because you it feels like they're telling you what to do. . . and I'm trying to grow up and recognize that it's wiser to make choices based on which ones seem to be the best ones, and not on proving that no one else (society/family/whatever) can tell you what to do with your life.

Oh, and the weather's back to normal. Rainy. Great tea and planning weather. Not so much fun waiting-for-the-bus weather.

2 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Blogger artsmonkey said...

your second paragraph is vague. is this b/c your boyfriend reads your blog perhaps?? does he?

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger dancing girl said...

perhaps

 

Post a Comment

<< Home