Sunday, August 19, 2007

assorted thoughts

*I like my new roommate. She's not actually my roommate yet, but will be in October. She seems nice and easygoing and social yet not a pushover. I feel good about this.

*My current roommate 'asked' me to remove my suitcases from the hallway where they've been sitting for the past month. Understandable. She asked me on the premise that she was going to be having people in this weekend. These people never materialized. The reason the suitcases have been in the hallway for 4 weeks is because I finally got tired of having to spend 15 minutes wading through all of her stuff which gets flung all over our storage locker, no matter how many times I organize my side to leave a nice free aisle. I had not said this to her, yet, however, as I intended to clean it up one more time and then request that it be maintained that way (as opposed to demanding that she clean her stuff up). Without me mentioning it, though, she mentioned it, on her own, telling to 'just move stuff' if that's what the problem is. I'm a little pissed off, but not entirely sure how justified I am in this. My suitcases have been in the middle of my room all weekend. I'm about to go reorganise storage, and then I think I will request that at least my half remain that way.

*I'm tired and possibly mildly depressed. Everyone tells me that with this degree, I'm finally moving forward in my life, 'getting it together,' but I feel like my work this fall is going to be more purposeless than anything I've done since I was the hostess at Smitty's. Because really, is a substitute teacher all that much more than a glorified babysitter? And most of my tutoring consists of watching kids struggle through random, semi-useful grammar exercises. In today's classroom, being able to differentiate gerunds from participles is hardly the key to passing English 12. On the up-side, by teaching that stuff, I'm getting some pretty thorough grammar training beyond what ever really sank in during my 3rd year linguistics class (for example I can now explain the difference between 'it sank' and 'it has sunk.')

*I need a new car. I cannot afford a new car. If I didn't visit my boyfriend and his family this Christmas, I could possibly start making payments on a car. But then I would be even lonelier, tireder, and more antsy, albeit with a better vehicle.

*My head hurts. My eyes hurt. My tooth hurts. I believe these things to be physical manifestations of my mood, but at this point I'm having a tough time intercepting the cause and effect cycle.

*Perhaps it's time for Texas, after all.

1 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger artsmonkey said...

it's that time of year. summer is ending, everyone is anticipating "getting back into it"
back to school.
roommates suck. luckily i don't have those stresses anymore.
when i was in school i had a few really cool subs. it's possible to have influence as a sub. just less often.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home