Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Teaching writing

The problem with email and instant messaging (and blogging, and text messaging, and. . . and. . . and. . . ) is that it is becoming more and more difficult to explain the difference between language used for speaking and language used for writing.

As much as I am enjoying my students' delightful essays (I do think English teachers are allowed a very unique window into their students' thoughts) I am at a loss as to how to effectively convey the idea that "anywho" is probably not the best transition word, especially in a Shakespeare-inspired essay?

4 Comments:

At 10:33 PM, Blogger skinny-rabbit said...

I'm part of the "I judge you when you use poor grammar" group on Facebook, and there are teacher on there who are trying desperately to get kids to write properly and are losing the battle. Is it bad teaching or are children these days just assholes?

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger artsmonkey said...

i would totally use "anyhoo" in a shakespeare essay if i could get away with it.

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Warrior Princesse Alathariel said...

That's hilarious and sad.

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger dancing girl said...

i don't think they're assholes (well, there may be exceptions). . . I actually think that poor writing is becoming harder to fix because kids are now practising it regularly. . . on blogs, on msn, through text messaging, etc. Some people would argue that this is simple evolution of written language, but as long as grammatically correct language still holds authority, teachers still need to teach it. Now we're having to break reinforced habits, and not just teaching writing from scratch.

Please note that it is late and I am tired. Don't hold me accountable for my own weak blogger grammar :P.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home