Thursday, November 29, 2007

out of the mouths

Tonight was my last Thursday at my tutoring job. I've got this one little guy in grade 3, (let's call him "Cal") who comes in for reading practice, and who is totally unable to concentrate unless either I'm working exclusively with him, or if there is no conversation at the table whatsoever. He's a sweetheart, and very social, and just has to be a part of whatever's going on, jumping into other people's lessons, etc. Anyway, I'm trying to get this other student to practice speaking English out loud by rehashing introductions. I say, "Okay. For example, I'll introduce myself. Hi! My name's nosiren. I am an English tutor and a teacher. I have a mom, a dad, and a sister. My sister lives in Toronto, and my parents live in blahblahblah . . . " at which point Cal, his eyes all wide and looking up at me breaks in, "You mean you're all alone?" His mouth drops open. "That's so sad!"

Pitied by an 8-year-old.

1 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger artsmonkey said...

aw. you aren't alone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home